01 Nov Terror of rotten pumpkins? Cook your troubles away!
Kids buzzing with to many sweets and left over pumpkins rotting on your door? Try our pumpkin pies and cook away your worries.
We have a sweet and a savoury recipe for you to try.
Both are pies so first of the pastry.
- 225g of flour
- 100g of butter
- Pinch of salt
- Sift the flour into a large bowl, add the butter and rub in with your fingertips until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Stir in the salt, then add 2-3 tbsp water and mix to a firm dough. Knead the dough briefly and gently on a floured surface. Wrap in cling film and chill while preparing the filling.
I like to use the Netherend farm salted butter for savoury dishes, for alternatives use biona coconut bliss.
- 4 chopped tomatoes
- 400g of pumpkin flesh
- 1 medium onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 100g cheese
- 1 teaspoon of mixed herbs
Chop all ingredients to about 1” cubes mix all together and place in pastry lined pie dish,
Cover the top with pastry, or you could try breadcrumbs for a change, brush top with milk
Cooked at 180 degrees gas mark 4 for 30 mins or until the pastry turns golden or breadcrumbs are brown.
- 750g/1lb 10oz Pumpkin
- squash, peeled, deseeded and cut into chunks
- 350g sweet shortcrust pastry
- plain flour, for dusting
- 140g caster sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp fresh nutmeg
- 2 eggs
- 25g butter
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 174ml milkAfter dicing and deseeding the pumpkin place in a saucepan, cover with water, and cook until soft. Drain off excess fluid ready for the next step.increase oven heat to 220 deg / gas mark 7place in oven for 10mins than reduce to 180 deg until filling has set.enjoy carving your pumpkin and reward yourself with the lovely pies.
- Allow to cool and decorate with a dusting of icing sugar or pipe whipped cream.
- beat eggs and mix with sugar, spices, butter, milk and sieved pumpkin flesh
- Blind bake pastry case in an oven 180 deg/ gas mark 4 for 15 mins allow to cool